Wednesday 12 April 2017

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 09-04-2017 - James Blake, Woods, Jim James, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever,

Tracks Of The Week

Instagram @alanreesb

Flycasual:-
Jim James - 'World's Smiling Now' (2016)


With 'First World' problems shelved for the weekend, I was treated to a visit from Sfw. The sun was shining, the kids were playing nicely and our respective wives even allowed us to go for a middle aged skate down the local skate park where Sfw got rad and shredded the mini ramp, whilst I nursed my knee back to health. The world was indeed smiling. Cue the Jim James slinky, soulful treatment then, I've been really enjoying last year's release, Eternally Even with the World's Smiling Now my clear stand out. Really worth checking out the album the next time sun makes an appearance!

Old Pa:-
Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - French Press (2017)


 


I heard this by default, I was trying to listen to something else. I loved it and had to play it over and over. It is suitably jangly if you know what I mean. This is an Aussie Band and althought the name is maybe a little too pretentious, who cares this is just brill and I can't wait to hear their album. This is a contender.

London Scouser:-
Woods - 'Love Is Love' (2017)



I was really into 'Woods' back in 2014 with their album 'With Light And With  Love' getting many a play via my headphones. I missed their 2016 release 'City Sun Eater In The River Of Light' as I wasn't listening to that much music last year. This song is from their 6 track mini album of the same name to be released later this year and is just what I needed to rekindle my interest in the band. I've read that it has some Ethiopian Jazz influences which I can imagine will be right up Flycasual's street. There's a verse towards the end that reminds me of 'Land Of Confusion' by Genesis which featured on the classic 'Now 9' album

SFW:-
James Blake - 'My Willing Heart' (2017)


I have to admit that the first reason I watched this was due to it featuring Natalie Portman, but hey, that's as good a reason right?  Well after a couple of listens it is actually a cracking track. It features on James Blake's 2016 album The Colour In Everything and the just released video was directed by Anna Rose Holmer.  It's as stylish as a Tom Ford movie and has the glorious Portman swimming in a pool and posing intimate shots in a bedroom. The video was shot right before Portman gave birth to her daughter in February.  

Subscribe/listen to our Tracks of the Week. Click here.

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 09-04-2017 - James Blake, Woods, Jim James, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever,
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
sfw
13 April 2017 at 12:41

FC - As laid back as a Magners on a sunny day
Old Pa - This is great
Woods - Like a trip to Addis Ababa through a hazy lens. Nice

The winner is Jim James with cider

Reply
avatar
13 April 2017 at 13:02

FC - i love JJ this is nice
LS - i'm a woods fan too and this fits the bill
SFW - surprise package...did not see this coming...like strongbow an arrow thru the heart

Reply